Monday, July 21, 2014

Rohonc Transcription online (as-is)

My transcription is still only 90% complete. I estimate about 20 more hours of work would be required to finish the remaining 10%, but it is hard for me to find that kind of time.

So rather than let the perfect be the enemy of the good, I have put the transcription online as-is, with the hope that I can continue to refine and update it as I go along.

I have thrown together a website: http://quint.us/Roho. This site is ugly as sin, because I wrote it with an emphasis of function over form. There may well be bugs, but hopefully they are rare. The site provides four basic pieces of functionality:

Download: Download my current revision of the transcription.

Search: Search the transcription.

Browse: Browse the page images and transcription.

Glyphs: View the catalog of glyphs.

As I refine the transcription system and the transcription, I will also work on the site to make it less ugly and more functional. Every time I update the transcription, I will increment the minor revision number. Every time I update the transcription system, I will increment the major revision number.

My system of transcription represents glyphs as strings of capital letters and numbers. The primary goal of the transcription system was to uniquely identify apparently unique glyphs. The secondary goal was to make transcriptions for similar glyphs similar in form. (For example, glyphs whose transcriptions begin with C have shapes that begin with the same semicircular stroke).

When I am less tired, I'll write up a better description of the transcription system.

Happy hunting. I welcome any kind of feedback on the site. Please leave a comment or email me at rst140720@quint.us if you have a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment