Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Saints' Names

Doing a quick pass through the current (imperfect) transcription, I come up with the following rough list of 26 strings that follow the glyph RT (which I think may mean saint).

The evangelists are identified by the fact that they occur in the episodic formula. It is interesting that the most common possible saint name, XI D, is not apparently an evangelist (though it may not refer to a saint at all).

Two of the possible evangelists have names starting CO, which suggests Mark and Matthew. If this is phonetic, then I wonder if the Holy Noun is a nomen sacrum for Maria Mater [Dei].

On the other hand, a phonetic reading of CO=ma militates against the idea that CO, CX and C are variants of the same glyph, since the apparent name for Thomas begins with CX.

Possible Saint Frequency Notes
XI D 47
HF HS 29 John the Evangelist
CO IH D 24 Luke the Evangelist
XDC D 13 Matthew the Evangelist
A CO D 11
CO CE XC 11
XDGBA E XDGB E 10
D 8
CUN1XX 7
U 6
CO C IX [C] ADD 5
CX I CX [I] or CX I QX 5
CO I [I] WD 4 Author of a scripture with at least 15 chapters, perhaps as many as 35 chapters.
CX F O 4 Thomas the Apostle
XWX 3
N1CO 3
KBA C1Q D 3
CUNSA I IX CUNSAR I I 3 possibly something like I Peter and II Peter
CUNSAR I I 2 possibly something like II Peter
V I V IX 2
Q C1A 2
A C IT 1
C C C D 1
C D K 1
C T D 1
E XMA 1
CO I XCAB 1 Author of a scripture with at least nine chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment